AddThis

Share |

Whoo Hoo! It's Fall!

Fall really is my favorite season. It has my favorite holiday, Halloween. It has my colors, green, gold, red, orange and streaks of purple. (Definitely me) It has my favorite weather, gusts of wind with mixing warm and cold crisp air. I have been sitting for hours on the front porch watching leaves dance and the robins get drunk on all the red berries in front of our house, their a hoot. The cats across the street are fascinated by their weird flights and giddiness.
We have definitely overbooked November. NanoWrimo, sewing classes, Opera, free concerts, fashion shows, and book clubs. Rob took me out for a belated birthday, starting with bacon wrapped dates stuffed with chevre and an almond. The restaurant's name is Veritable Quandry. The cooking staff was all women that night. And we lingered over the meal for two hours. The hazelnut fed organic pork chops melted in your mouth, so juicy and tender they didn't need a fork, the nutty flavor would have made Nero Wolf eat his heart out. I had a drink called the Fall and it was sublime - when I closed my eyes I could see the dancing leaves of color (hey it was only one drink) For desert I had a super natural experience with a chocolate souffle drizzled with dark chocolate sauce. Oh heaven, I tell you! Definitely a restaurant to get reservations at if you ever visit the area. All you foodies -- heads up - Robert smiled through the whole meal.

Next he took me for a short walk up the street and to the Keller Auditorium, where we watched Phillip Glass's Orphee (opera). Amazing! Our only complaint was that the audience wore a lot of perfume. The performance and orchestra where stellar in this modern retelling of the movie. How they worked out the mirror scenes was amazing and clever. It was a perfect compliment to the excellent dinner we just had.
The walk to the bus stop was spectacular- down town was all aglow, the tree wrapped in white Christmas lights, twinkling the falling leaves. A great birthday. Robert bowls me over again!

One of the groups we signed up for, to meet locals, had an event that we attended, an underground tour of Portland. Wow, what an history. It was great fun to listen about all the characters in Portland's past and was totally shocked about all the bigotry and racism that surfaced in that history too. Definitely wasn't what I was expecting but it was a good time and we met some folks.

Back at home Chef Robert fixed braised lamp shanks in orange olive and tomato sauce. Ummm WOW. The meat virtually fell of the bone, no knife was needed and every succulent tender morsel sent me real-ling. The brussel sprouts were tender yet firm, rich in a sauce of white wine and caramelized pearl onions. God I love this guy! (Hey put in an order for this when you visit!)

I made my first pumpkin pie from scratch with gluten free crust, also made an apple pie. They were okay- the crust still isn't perfect yet, practice practice practice. The pumpkins were marvelous though- so yummy and sweet roasted.

Oh and the roller coaster didn't end there. In the spirit of recycle and reuse, I went to the fashion show "Junk to Funk" with one of the women from my sewing group. What a hoot! We also got to be up right up against the runway- great for shots:

Program above
and corresponding fashion below:


junk2funk
Love those shoes!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me